The Xcel Energy Day of Service (DOS) Social Media #Contest, sponsored by the Xcel Energy Foundation, will award six grants to Colorado-based not-for-profit organizations. To receive a grant, not-for-profit teams will earn one point for each qualifying post or tweet; an organization’s total points will then be divided by the number of volunteers supporting that organization’s project. This formula will generate a percentage that ensures organizations with a large group of volunteers are tallied the same way as organizations with a small group of volunteers. The top two teams will each receive a $5,000 grant. Third- through sixth-place organizations will each receive a $2,500 grant, for a total of $20,000 in grants from the Xcel Energy Foundation.
Who can post:
• DOS team leaders, volunteers, the nonprofit they are volunteering for, customers, and others who support the organization can participate in the challenge by following designated campaign guidelines.
• Each eligible post that follows the posting guidelines and meets the requirements will be counted as one point for the organization mentioned in the post. Team leaders should encourage their volunteers, friends, family, and organizations to post multiple original messages to increase their chances of winning. Shares, retweets, or reposts will NOT count as a point.
Where to post:
• The Xcel Energy Colorado Facebook page
• Your personal Twitter account
• Your personal Instagram account
What your post must include to be eligible:
1. The tags #XEDOS and #contest,
2. Tag Xcel Energy Colorado using the following guidelines:
• On Facebook: post directly to the Xcel Energy Colorado Facebook page AND tag @Xcel Energy Colorado
• On Twitter: tag @XcelEnergyCO
• On Instagram: post a photo or video about your project and tag @xcelenergy,
3. Tag or name your project’s organization (tag the local organization ONLY — posts or tags to national organizations are not eligible) using the information from the list of #XEDOS #contest projects, and
4. Why you love the nonprofit/organization or project, information on what your project is about, or information about the volunteer’s activity on the DOS to support the project.
When to post:
• Begins Sept. 5, 2017 at 12:00:01 a.m. MT, and ends Sept. 9, 2017 at 11:59:59 p.m. MT.
Using photos and videos in posts:
• In addition to the contest tagging requirements listed above, a photo or video is required to post on Instagram.
• While not required to earn a point, including photos and videos with your Facebook or Twitter posts is a great addition to help tell your organization’s story, e.g. images that showcase the projects and volunteers, or the natural beauty of Colorado and people hard at work.
See the list of #XEDOS #contest projects and organizations for 2017, including the necessary information to be used for tagging on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. See the full contest rules here.